Wednesday, August 16, 2006

First post; current info

I decided earlier today that my OS will be open source, under an Apache 1-like license. This was a big step for me; I wasn't sure if I wanted to be closed or open. I figured that open source:
  • makes people happy;
  • allows other people to find (and even possibly fix) bugs;
  • and makes it more open for other people to join me in this project.
Right now I'm working on my hard disk driver. It seems that the way I have it coded the drive never becomes ready. It just sits there at a "while" loop.

Also, I dug up my old 486 Compaq ProLinea 4/50 for my test computer again. So I got to see my new memory manager running on a real computer for the first time tonight. That makes me happy. :)

In other news, I'm planning a big announcement soon about a very important component: PCI. I won't tell you what yet, but I can tell you it will probably revolutionize the way we work with PCI hardware.

Well I best be off to code. Until next time...

No comments: