Thursday, August 17, 2006

We're live!; memory manager update; more info on PCI

As of last night, AWOS is now officially live on Google Code's SVN repository. That's right, we're finally open-source! (see it at http://awos.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/)

I had a terrible time last night as my OS was triple faulting. (Harkens back to days of yore trying to get into PMode.) Found out that my fault handler was reading CR1, and that's a reserved register. Yay! No more triple fault. Boo! Page fault.

So obviously my paging code is still buggy. CR2=0x400000, which means it's trying to access exactly 4MB into memory (the start of Page Directory #2) so it's not doing something right.

PCI: Well a piece of it is being able to detect any PCI card from the planet super fast from a comprehensive database. I estimate that it would take <= 5 seconds to detect any card's make, model, and type. I'm pretty sure that Windows takes longer than that, and I'm not even using PnP. Besides, this is *ANY* card (I have a source than can give me all the vendor IDs and card IDs), even some that Windows hasn't even heard of.

No comments: